In this week’s episode of Building the Base, Hondo and Lauren join Debbie James, former Secretary of the Air Force, to discuss the future of the defense industrial network. Secretary James discusses changes in national security, including the prevalence of software in DoD operations and the importance of diversity in the workforce. The Secretary identifies room for improvement in both the DoD and industry by emphasizing the need for collaboration with nontraditional companies, suggesting reformation of requirements processes, and advising listeners to come to the DoD with humility and understanding of the decision-making process.
Hondo, Lauren, and Secretary James go on to discuss a variety of topics, including:
- Digital engineering & additive manufacturing in national security
- Small businesses in the future industrial network
- Changes to the SBIR program
- The Space Development Agency
- Open systems architecture